Katrician Viewpoints
The Box office nature of Politics
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
  Rudy vs. Romney
I learned from a recent class reading that debates are “pseudo-events”, meaning events staged specifically for the purpose of media attention, non-spontaneous and excessively dramatized. Not the best form of journalism, that, because there it is pretty low on the substantial and information scale.

That is, of course, a little disheartening from a journalist’s standpoint, especially considering I sit through every minute of every Presidential candidates’ debate. I even watch the extended analysis that follows, but that’s mostly because I think journalists are smarter than politicians and if there was a debate for the media by the media, believe me, I’d be there. But then, that’s every talk show on broadcast news.

Now, getting back to my point, from the point of view of a journalist, you want hard, substantial news on the issues, with indisputable facts and logical reasoning. Not a wily slugfest about personality and character and beliefs and opinions.

But when you come across an exchange like this one, how could you possibly not enjoy it? Isn’t that why we love politics? Intense, impassioned, opinionated, subjective reasoning!



As Chris Matthews put it, inner-city grit vs. power point precision
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Random thoughts on anything that catches my fancy...
Name: Karthika
Location: Philadelphia, United States

Check out my group blog

www.flickr.com


Add to Technorati Favorites

Powered by FeedBurner


ARCHIVES
September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / March 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 /



Powered by Blogger

Google
Get Free Shots from Snap.com